Always fascinated by the martial arts, Mr. Handwerker did not begin his martial studies until mid 1990.
Like many, his training began in the Korean sport of Tae Kwon Do. It was during this time then that an instructor of his introduced him the Okinawan style of Ryukyu Kempo and the Dillman theory of Pressure Point Fighting. Not being a sport minded individual, the arts of Kyusho-Jitsu and Tuite-Jitsu and the idea of a purely self-defense style was extremely appealing to him and this has been his main focus ever since.
While keeping Kempo as his main style, Mr. Handwerker has explored other arts and styles such as Modern Arnis, Aikido, Judo, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Small Circle Jujitsu™, and Kenjutsu. He has had the privilege of working with high-ranking instructors in these arts, most notably George Dillman and Mark Kline of Ryukyu Kempo, Professor Wally Jay and Leon Jay of Small Circle Jujitsu™ and the late Professor Remy Presas the Father of Modern Arnis.
Mr. Handwerker currently works for a local hospital in their security department as an officer and defensive tactics instructor. He presently runs Handwerker Martial Arts from his home with a future goal of moving to a store-front facility. He continues his studies of Kempo under the guidance of Grandmaster Mark Kline who he hosts several times per year. He also has continued his study of Modern Arnis under the direction of Professor Dan Anderson and has been been studying under Bram Frank in his Modular Blade Concepts knife system, based on Modern Arnis.
Mr. Handwerker's Credits and Certifications
- 5th Degree Black Belt - Ryukyu Kempo Karate
- MBC2 (Modular Blade Combat Concepts) Certified Instructor
- CSSD/SC (Commons Sense Self Defense/Street Combat) Charter School Holder
- Handcuffing Instructor (ASP and PATH® Certified)
- Baton Instructor (ASP and MEB® Certified)
- OC Instructor (OCAT® and Providence Certified)
- TASER Certified Instructor
- Prevention and Management of Assaultive Behavior - Master Instructor
- Oregon DPSST Certified Security Professional - #27828
- BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED)
- Awarded the Life Saving Medal - Portland Police 6.2010